Sticky Toffee Pudding
Recipe from All Recipes, adapted by me
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup boiling water to cover
1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup white sugar
1 1/8 cups self-rising flour
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 stick and 1 Tbs butter, cut into chunks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a small bowl combine the dates and baking soda. Pour enough boiling water over the dates to just cover them. Allow to cool.
- Cream the butter with the white sugar until light. Beat in the eggs and mix well to combine. Add the flour and date mixture (including water) to the egg mixture and fold to combine.
- Pour the batter into one 8 inch round baking pan (I used a square instead). Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool, slice and serve with warm caramel sauce.
- To Make Caramel Sauce: In a small saucepan combine the brown sugar and heavy cream. Heat on medium heat until the sugar is dissolved; do not allow to boil. Remove from heat and add the butter and vanilla. Stir until the butter is thoroughly melted. Use immediately (I out about 1/2 cup of the caramel sauce on the cake straight from the oven after poking holes all over the top for extra sticky goodness).
Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens
1/4 cup sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- In a heavy medium-sized pot use a wooden spoon and stir together egg yolks, milk, and sugar.
- Cook and stir continuously with the wooden spoon over medium heat until mixture just coats the back of a clean metal spoon (temp should be 160F on a candy thermometer; do not allow to boil; also, don't rush this step or it will curdle). Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Quickly cool custard by placing the saucepan in a large bowl of ice water for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a clean bowl. Place plastic wrap directly on top of the custard to prevent a skin from forming. Chill for at least two hours before serving.