Pages

28 January 2010

A Note to Jamie Oliver

UPDATE: Got the computer fixed so now here are the pictures!

Dear Jamie,

I know this may come as a surprise, but I feel that we need to spend some time apart. The meat you had me buy for the rib of roast with rosemary, although tasty, was just too expensive for me to be able to make it as often as I would like. Sure, the garlic, rosemary, and lemon zest made for a very flavorful marinade. And yes, the meat was especially tender. I just can't take the look my hubby gave me when he saw that the meat cost $30.


Please don't make this any harder than it has to be. The rosemary roasted potatoes were amazing and the perfect accompaniement to the steak, and the recipe was super easy to follow. I'm just afraid my hubby won't let me buy any meat ever again (we didn't even go to a butcher, just the local grocery store).


Just know that it's not you, it's me.

Sincerely,
Sunshine

Ultimate Rib of Roast with Rosemary
Recipe by Cook with Jamie

3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
Small bunch of rosemary, tied together at the base
Olive oil
1 2-lb 11-oz rib of beef, French trimmed
Peppery olive oil

  1. Preheat oven to 425F. Put the garlic, lemon zest, and the tip of the rosemary bunch in a pestle and mortar, add a glug of olive oil, and bash together. Use your rosemary brush to rub half the marinade over your rib steak, and leave the steak to marinade for at least an hour.
  2. Heat an ovenproof griddle pan on the stovetop to white-hot, and season your steak generously. Put it in the pan and fry for a couple of minutes before turning it over and putting the pan in the oven for 20 minutes for medium. Every five minutes, turn the steak over and baste it with some of the remaining marinade, using the rosemary brush. Cook to your liking.
  3. When done, remove from the oven, squeeze over a little lemon juice, drizzle over a splash of peppery olive oil, and let the steak reast for five minutes.

2 comments:

Sharon's Mum Anne said...

I'm sure JO is duly chastened by your pitiful letter. Mind you he's loaded in the cash dept. so $30 is neither here nor there where he's concerned.

Hope you and hubby are still talking.

Megs said...

That letter left me laughing out loud! That recipe sounds delicious. I'll have to bookmark it for a special occasion!!