Pages

31 January 2010

Something Smells...Fishy

Tonight I tried my hand at seafood. Most of you already know that I can't stand the stuff (my limit is tuna from a can mixed with a little mayo and relish; that's it as far as creatures from the sea goes for me). I wanted to do something special for my hubby since he had a really bad day yesterday (wrecking my truck on the ice was the perfect way for him to start his day).


I turned to Sandra Lee and her cookbook, Semi-Homemade 20 Minute Meals, for the salmon I made for him tonight. I can't tell you if I thought it was any good because I just had some chicken, but he raved about it. Broiled Salmon with Pesto Mayo got the husband's approval so I hope you'll be just as happy with it. Enjoy!


Broiled Salmon with Pesto Mayo
Recipe by Sandra Lee

1 1/2 lbs center-cut fresh salmon fillet, 1 inch thick, cut into 4 pieces
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbl bottled lemon juice (or the juice from one large lemon)
2 tsp Italian Seasoning

For the Pesto Mayo
3 Tbl mayonnaise
1 Tbl prepared pesto

  1. Preheat broiler. Rinse salmon with cold water; pat dry with paper towels. line baking sheet or broiler pan with aluminum foil; set aside.
  2. For marinade, in a large zip-top bag, combine olive oil, lemon juice, and Italian seasoning. Add salmon. Sqeeze air from bag and seal. Gently massage bag to coat fish; set aside (I'd say about 20 minutes since the book didn't give any time).
  3. For pestp mayo, in a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise and pesto; set aside.
  4. Remove salmon pieces from the bag and place, flash sides down, on prepared baking sheet. Discard marinade. Broil fish 4 to 6 inches from heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Turn salmon; cook for 4 to 6 minutes more or until flash flakes away easily when tested with a fork. Serve with pesto mayo.

3 comments:

Sharon's Mum Anne said...

I'm with you on fish - I much prefer tinned salmon to fresh - now how plebeian is that? We're bombarded with the fact that one should eat oily fish at least once a week - give me a big juicy steak any day!

Nice to see photographs once more - how long before you are able to drive your truck?

megs said...

Pesto mayo? Why in the world didn't I think of that??

Sunshine said...

Anne - I'm with you on the steak. I can get myself to eat things that I know are good for me but that I don't necessarily like (whole weat bread, peppers, onions), but I just can't bring myself to eat fish.

Megs - It was really quite tasty. I may try it on a grilled chicken sandwich next time.