When I asked Hoeny Mim what she would like she wasn't entirely sure. We discussed different ideas and came up with crunkcakes (aka cupcakes made with alcohol). Since we were having Mexican food we decided to have Strawberry Margarita Cupcakes with Lime Buttercream. Since it's one of her favorite alcoholic drinks we knew it would perfect. We also knew my dad wouldn't touch these so I also made Chocolate-Peanut Butter Cupcakes with PB Buttercream (I'll give you that recipe in my next post).
Strawberry Margarita Cupcakes with Lime Buttercream
Recipe by RecipeGirl
9 ounces liquid Margarita mix (a little over a cup; I used the strawberry mix)
3 ounces tequila (a little less than 1/3 cup)
¾ ounce Grand Marnier
1 box white cake mix (next time, I might try it with a scratch recipe)
3 large egg whites
2 Tbs vegetable oil
1 Tbs lime zest
LIME BUTTERCREAM ICING:
2 sticks unsalted butter (1 cup), at room temperature
5 to 6 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbs fresh lime juice
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp grated lime zest
green food coloring, if desired
small lime slices for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two dozen cupcake tins with paper liners.
- Prepare cupcakes: Whisk together margarita mix, tequila and Grand Marnier in a small bowl. Measure out 1¼ cups for the recipe; pour the rest on some ice and drink it while making the cupcakes.
- In a large bowl, blend cake mix, egg whites, vegetable oil, lime zest and 1¼ cups of the margarita mix from step 1. Blend on low for about 30 seconds and then increase speed to medium and blend for two additional minutes. Batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Spoon the batter into cupcake liners (about ¾ full). Bake for 20-25 min, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool for about 10 minutes in the pans, then remove them to a rack to cool completely.
- Prepare icing: Once cucpakes are completely cooled, prepare the icing. Place butter in a large bowl and beat with electric mixer until butter is fluffy. Add 5 cups of powdered sugar, salt, lime juce, and lime zest. Mix until thick and creamy. Add more powdered sugar until the frosting is of a good spreading (or piping) consistency. Mix in a tiny amount of green food coloring or gel paste if you’d like the frosting to have a green tint. Ice cupcakes in whatever manner you prefer… spreading or piping the frosting. Use small lime slices as garnish.