Pages

27 February 2010

Risotto Again

I've been called a lot of names in my life. Some of them flattering, some of them not so much. One name I've been called that bemuses me is "Little Martha." Yeah, that Martha. I think I may be one of the few food bloggers that does not hold a soft spot in her heart for her. She certainly is a polarizing figure. I haven't met a single person who is just middle of the road on their feelings for her. Love her or hate her though, the woman is a crafting wiz as well as genius in the kitchen.

Now, I realize that risotto is not necessarily the healthiest food, but Ms. Martha crammed two very good for you veggies into this dish. Tomato and sausage risotto calls for one giant can of diced tomatoes and 10-14 oz. of spinach (it also calls for an onion, but I don't know that much about the benefits of those tear-inducers to say that they are a super food). So the sausage and parmesan kind of cancel out the goodness from the veg, it still tastes incredible and pleases almost every person I know (pretty sure I can count on one hand the people who would not eat this).


To round out our meal, we had a small spinach salad with some fat free vinagarette and small chunk of crusty bread with a schmear of butter). Welcome to my Heaven! Thank you, Martha for giving me a reason to love you.


Tomato and Sausage Risotto
Recipe by Martha Stewart

1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, in juice

1 tablespoon olive oil
3/4 pound sweet or hot Italian sausage, casings removed
1 small onion, finely chopped
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 cup Arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 bunch flat-leaf spinach, (10 to 14 ounces), washed well, tough stems removed, chopped (about 7 Cups)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving (optional)
2 tablespoons butter
  1. In a small saucepan, combine tomatoes (with their juice) and 3 cups water. Bring just to a simmer; keep warm over low heat.
  2. In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add sausage and onion; season with salt and pepper. Cook, breaking up sausage with a spoon, until sausage is opaque and onion has softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
  3. Add rice; cook, stirring until well coated, 1 to 2 minutes. Add wine; cook, stirring until absorbed, about 1 minute.
  4. Add about 2 cups hot tomato mixture to rice; simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until absorbed, 4 to 5 minutes. Continue adding tomato mixture, 1 cup at a time, waiting for one cup to be absorbed before adding the next, stirring occasionally, until rice is creamy and just tender, about 25 minutes total (you may not have to use all the liquid).
  5. Remove pan from heat. Stir in spinach, Parmesan, and butter; season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately (risotto will thicken as it cools), and sprinkle with additional Parmesan, if desired.

2 comments:

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I don't think that's such a bad nickname...and YUM!

Leedslass said...

That looks absolutely delicious but not terribly low calorie! I am resolved to start my umpteenth diet on 1 March and am busy eating up the chocolate and crips that are secretared around the apartment!!!! Not a clue how long this current resolve will last - I give it a couple of days - watch this space.

Anne