Pages

21 June 2010

Food Revolution: Pasta


I know it's been a little while since my last post. I've actually got a really great excuse this time. Are you ready for it? Deep breath... I'm tired. And my stomach hurts. And I'm pretty sure that my mattress has gone on strike because it's left me with this horrible pain in my back. And I've lost my will to do anything because it's so hot here. What? Were my excuses not good enough for you? Ok, those aren't my real excuses. My real excuse will come tomorrow. Why tomorrow? Because I have to do something very important tomorrow afternoon, then I can share with you.


For now, I bring you another Jamie recipe. This one comes from his 20 Minute Meals app for the iPhone (yes, again). Orecchiette with Broccoli, Chile, and Pecorino was easy to make and super tasty (although I had to use shells because I couldn't find orecchiette and next time I'll use parmesan because I didn't like the pecorino). I added chicken to the mix because I like meat and could really use the protein.


Honestly, I don't know what else there is to say about this meal. You lready know that it cooks quickly (hello, 20 minute meal). You know that it's got some great ingredients in it that are super good for you (broccoli anyone). You know that if hubby had two helpings and was ready for a third that it was worth it (ok, he does that with most meals, but I like to think that it's because I'm a good cook and not because he just loves to eat). What I'm trying to say is try it, you'll like it. Would I ever lie to you???


Orecchiette with Broccoli, Chile, and Pecorino
Recipe by Jamie Oliver, adapted by me

1 lb dried orecciette (or shells like I used)
2 heads of broccoli
3 garlic cloves
1 dried red chile (next time, I'm using 2)
4 oz pecorino cheese, freshly shredded (parmesan for us next time too)
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
  1. Fill a deep pot with water, add a pinch of salt, and place on high heat to bring to a boil. Put a large saucepan on a medium heat. Chop the florets off your broccoli stalks, trying to keep them an even size. Trimt he base off of the stalks and discard, then finely chop the remaining stalks.
  2. Peel and finely slice the garlic. Add the chopped broccoli stalks to the hot saucepan along with the garlic and a splash of olive oil. Crumble in your dried chile. Cover with a lid and cook slowly for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occassionally (this is the step where I cook my chicken; I just added it to all of these fun ingredients and cooked them all together).
  3. Add the pasta and broccoli florets to your pot of boiling water and cook until the pasta is done the broccoli is tender (they should cook in about the same amount of time).
  4. When the pasta and broccoli are cooked, scoop out a cupful of water and reserve, then drain the rest in a colander. Add the pasta and broccoli to your pan, toss everything together and remove from heat.
  5. Season the pasta to taste with the salt and pepper, add most of the grated pecorino and mix well. If the sauce is a bit thick, add a splash or two of the reserved cooking water to think out.

No comments: