Pages

23 May 2010

Happy Blogoversary to Me!

Thursday marked the one-year anniversary of me joining the blogging world. It's been a bit crazy. There was that time I went several months without blogging because my laptop gave up on me. There were a few fails along the way but even more successes. I've made some amazing friends from some really cool places.

My friend M, Chris's sister K, and my cousin S

In honor of this momentous occassion, I hosted an impromptu tea party at my apartment (I had to make a really big dessert for the Daring Bakers that I knew the hubby and I wouldn't be able to eat on our own). I invited some friends over and made some finger foods. I dipped some strawberries in chocolate. I baked until midnight last night even though the tornado sirens were going off (I was trapped at the grocery store for almost an hour in a concrete hallway with about 15 other people just waiting for an all clear so I could race home to bake).
The only one I could get to smile for the camera

Luckily the grocery store went to had the one thing that I went to that specific store for, clotted cream, so it was worth getting locked in (plus I made a new friend who I got to tell all about the joys of Tulsa living...no, really, it was a good conversation). I set out several different flavors of tea with tea pots full of hot water so everyone could choose what they like. All in all, I think everyone had a good time. I think even the Queen of England herself would have been happy with how everything turned out.
Don't let the pouty face fool you, she had fun

There really isn't a recipe for me to share with you today. I made egg salad for the very first time with some instructions from my mom. The biggest recipe can't be shared until next week when it's time to post for the DBs again. Anyway, I really just wanted to thank you all for sticking with me for the past year. Hopefully, you'll still be here with me this time next year. I've got some really fun stuff planned for the next few months so stick around.

7 comments:

Hungry Mim said...

Finally! Looks like a good time and a good spread. What other food did you have? I have to eat vicaroiusly these days.

Sharon's Mum Anne said...

I'm totally fascinated by your comment about having to wait an hour for the "all clear"! Takes me back to the war when I was a tot but then we had to run down the garden to the Anderson shelter to await the all clear siren!

I'm sure if the queen had had a free hour she would have loved to join in BUT did you prepare cucumber sandwiches (without crusts)? I think she's quite pickie!!!

Sunshine said...

Mim - We had chocolate covered strawberries, homemade scones with clotted cream and jam, three different finger sandwiches, veggies, and two different kinds of mini tarts.

Anne - I did indeed make crustless cucumber sandwiches. We also had crustless egg salad sandwiches and ham with english mustard and swiss cheese. It was a proper tea. The only thing we needed were more tea cups since we had to drink out of coffee cups.

Sharon's Mum Anne said...

OMG - a wonderful afternoon tea RUINED with COFFEE CUPS - whatever happened to the bone china?????

Sunshine said...

Anne - I know, I know. My head is held with shame. I'm on a mission now to find proper ta cups so that the next high tea I host will truly be proper. With as much tea as I drink, you'd think I'd have an entire cabinet filled with them instead of the one that I just recently acquired. I'm so ashamed.

Nurit - familyfriendlyfood said...

The party looks like so much fun. the food souonds deliciuos. And, happy blogoversary to YOU!

Sharon's Mum Anne said...

Never mind Sweetheart, you're American and can't be expected to get everything right about afternoon tea. We've been practicing for hundreds of years and we still make mistakes :-(
(At least you took the crusts off your bread) big A* for that tricky one.