Pages

18 April 2010

Le Chocolat Chaud

I know that it would seem strange to have hot chocolate in the middle of April especially since we've been enjoying the sunshine and gardening on our balcony. But this weekend the weather turned typically Oklahoma-Springy, cool and rainy. This is my kind of weather though. I love to sit by the window with a good book and a mug of this hot chocolate in my hands.


A few months ago I came across David Lebovitz's book, The Sweet Life in Paris. It had been out for a few months before then, but I could never get a copy of it no matter where I looked (even Amazon seemed to be out). I brought it home and devoured it in one sitting like a pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream. Fantastically witty and extremely insightful, my only regret is that I hadn't been able to read it before going to Paris. Definitely check it out if you're looking for a funny read with some amazing recipes interspersed throughout.


I've made this recipe several times with amazing results. My favorite version that I made was with a stick of cinnamon boiled in the mixture. So yummy and will be a constant companion when fall and winter rolls back around here. It's best to use best ingredients you can find and afford. With only three ingredients, you will notice a difference if you don't. Enjoy!


Le Chocolat Chaud
Recipe by David Lebovitz

2 cups milk (I used skim; the book says to use whole or low fat)
5 oz semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (I used bittersweet to help cut down on the sweetness)
Pinch of coarse salt
  1. In a medium saucepan, warm the milk, chocolate, and salt. Heat until it begins to boil.
  2. Lower the heat to the barest simmer and cook the mixture, whisking frequently, for 3 minutes. If you want it a thicker consistency, cook it an another 1 to 2 minutes. Serve with a dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream.

No comments: