Pages

04 August 2009

Welcome to India!



I recently replaced my cell phone with the iPhone (my spacebar quit working when I was texting, and it just got to be too big of a hassle). I immediately started adding aps so that it wouldn't be a waste of money to own. Most of the ones I loaded were free and are well worth the cost of my new phone. One of these aps is the All Recipes Recipe Spinner (it's actually one of the first ones I added to my phone). This thing is amazing! There are three "wheels": meal type, ingredient, amount of time it takes to cook. Just shake the phone, and the spinners do their magic and randomly select one from each wheel.



One of the times I used the spinner, I got the main dish option with grains as my main ingredient and less than a 40 minute cook time. Several recipes came up with those specifications, and I thought I might have made a bad decision by loading this onto my phone. Two recipes in and up came what I knew I had to make for dinner: Chicken Curry! Thank you All Recipes!



Lucky for you, this recipe can be found on the original website too. I have to admit, I've never had curry before this meal, and I was very happy with the outcome (my sister, who has had curry, liked it too so I have to assume that I came out well). For my tastes, it was the right amount of heat. For the sis, I'm sure she would have liked more. Others might want less. Served over a bed of steamed rice, this really was a great meal. Enjoy!


Chicken Curry
Recipe from All Recipes

1 (3 pound) whole chicken, skin removed and cut into pieces (I used a package of chicken tenders and cut them into bite-sized pieces before cooking them)
3 onions, chopped (I only used 1 since my sister doesn't like them; oh, and it was yellow)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 bay leaf
2 cloves crushed garlic
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon paprika
3 tablespoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 pinch salt
1/4 cup olive oil
water to cover
  1. Fry the onions in olive oil until browned. Add the cinnamon and the bay leaf. Continue stirring and add the ginger, paprika, curry powder, sugar, salt, and garlic. Continue stirring for 2 minutes. Mixture will become much like a paste.
  2. Add chicken pieces and tomato. Add enough water to just cover the chicken. Simmer until chicken is done, about 20 minutes.
  3. Just before serving, add the lemon juice and the cayenne pepper. Simmer for 5 more minutes.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks good. Next time through in a handful of raisins. I steam rice with curry powder, garlic, and basil and serve it as a side dish to almost anything. My kids always liked it.

Peanut Butter Swirl said...

Indian food is my favorite right now :D
sounds great!

stephchows said...

That is seriously fun :) I need to tell my sister about that app!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Mmmmmmmmmm. I love love love curry. I just don't know if I could cook it. Ah ha

Sunshine said...

Rulsa Gent - Your rice sounds good! I was thinking it would taste really good with some mango added to it near the end, but raisins would be good too.

PB Swirl & Stephchows - It was really good!

Kristin - It was super easy to make. If you just get all your spices together in one bowl bfore you start, it's even easier.

Gaia said...

Indian food my fav and your receipt seems very easy and good! I'll try it!

Marta said...

It's great to start on the complex world of curries with straight-forward recipes like this one. Great!

Sabine, La Marquise des anges said...

this looks so so appetizing !!! I love curry :) have a great weekend muy friend.

Anonymous said...

Yum, I just saw this and was rummaging for something to make. I have most everything I think! Thanks for the idea!