Pages

21 May 2009

A Little Comfort Food

Lately, I’ve been craving comfort food. I don’t know if it’s because I’m missing my hubs or if my body just wants a carb overload. Either way, I’ve been craving cheese and potatoes with a good helping of meat. My family is Irish, so I could literally live off of potatoes and be happy especially if you throw some cheese into the mix.

My sister had made a casserole with chicken earlier in the week, and there was plenty of chicken left over, so I decided I wanted fried chicken and au gratin potatoes (I don’t usually eat the two together, but I was really craving this).




I borrowed the recipe for the potatoes from an acquaintance that I watched make them one time. For the chicken, I recommend using your own recipe. Everyone has their favorite way to make it, whether it’s Nana’s secret recipe or your childhood best friend’s mother’s. Personally, I just throw a bunch of fun spices in with my flour and dredge away to my heart’s content.





Au Gratin Potatoes
2 lbs potatoes (Yukon work best)
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups cheddar cheese (this can be adjusted to your taste as well as the type of cheese)
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375°F.
Wash potatoes and slice thinly. Place in pot of water and cook until half-way done (about 15 minutes).
In an oven-safe dish, spray Pam (or use butter). Place a layer of potato slices followed by a layer of cheese (about 1/4 cup). Pour 1/4 cup cream on top. Continue layers until finished. Top with cheese.
Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

No comments: